Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday Night Pizza

Okay, so I promise I'll get better about posting pictures, as I'm sure it's a little boring to just read my posts with no visuals! 

With that out of the way, I want to mention a new tradition we've started in our house: Friday Night Pizza.  It doesn't sound like a novel concept at all, and I can't even claim that I came up with it myself, but we've definitely enjoyed it.  I got the idea from Barbara Kingsolver in Animal Vegetable Miracle.  You can find her recipe at www.animalvegetablemiracle.com.   Since I have some sensitivity to bread, it also makes me more conscious of what I eat during the week so that I can enjoy my pizza on Friday.   

Since rule one of transitioning to local eating is using up what you already have, I've been using some store bought pizza dough I had in the freezer.  This is fine, but I"m looking forward to making my own dough next time.  Here are the combinations we've tried so far (local items are in purple):

Basic Cheese Pizza:
Homemade tomato sauce (10lbs of tomatoes I cooked up about a month ago)
Amish Mozzarella

Hawaiian BBQ Chicken:
Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
Leftover Chicken (from the Gerber's chicken I cooked up on Tuesday)
Heinen's Own Shaved Ham
Heinen's Mozzarella
Farm fresh red onion
Canned pineapple chunks
 A touch of Heinen's Mild Cheddar


 So now I want to know, what is your easy, reliable meal that you always fall back on?  Please tell me!  I'd love to try it out and see how I can turn it local.  Also,  I need your help in finding the best roast chicken recipe EVER!  I like cooking up a chicken at the beginning of the week to use throughout the week, so help me out!  Thanks for your contributions!

No comments:

Post a Comment