Monday, October 18, 2010

Yum Yum Applesauce

  Apples are one of the best treats of fall food.  We went out to Hillcrest Farms in Amherst and picked our own apples a few weeks ago.  Heinen's and Pickering farms also bring in apples from lots of local farmers.  My childhood best friend lived on an apple orchard and we still reminisce about "Applebutter Day."  You've got one, maybe two, more weekends to go pick fresh apples and I highly suggest it because it's a fun and wonderful way to spend your day and the cider is great!
  Inspired by the fresh apples, I decided to try and make my own applesauce.  Little did I know, it is the easiest thing in the world!  My husband can't live without cinnamon applesauce, so it's an important staple in our home.  Before we got married, I didn't realize that spaghetti can't be served without cinnamon applesauce on the side!  So, here is my recipe for applesauce.   I didn't can any this year, because I had stupidly already bought a ton from Costco.  So, as I mentioned in my last post, I will use up all that first and can next fall!  The applesauce will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks. 

Yum Yum Applesauce

6-8 apples, peeled and sliced (I find a mixture of two thirds golden delicious and one third macintosh is fabulous!  Jonagolds and galas work too)
1/2 cup water
Cinnamon (I use loads!  Adjust to your taste)
Honey (This is optional and I don't always add it in.  I never use more than about a tablespoon)

Put apples and water in a medium sauce pan. Cover and cook on medium or low for 20-30 minutes, until apples are soft (you can't cook it too long, so don't worry).  Mash with a potato masher (you can puree it once it cools if you want it really smooth).   Stir in cinnamon and honey if desired.  Let cool and enjoy!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment