Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Here Comes Halloween, Here Comes Halloween




   We love Halloween.  For my husband, it has been a life long love affair.  For me, it has been a more recent acquisition.  Every year, our home is turned into a fall Halloween wonderland, both inside and out.  My students get such a kick out of coming to the house and walking by a flying ghost or a growling animal hidden in the hedge.  I swear we spend more money on Halloween decorations than on Christmas.  We have the generic fall/Halloween ones that come up for the entire month, then the slightly more specific Halloween ones that come out for the last week or so, and then a whole entire other group that are added for just the actual Halloween party and day.  It's like the Jack's beanstalk, it just keeps growing and growing and growing!  I told my hubby that we might be reaching our max as far as decorations go, and we would probably have to cut down on our shopping sprees because our house just can't hold much more and luckily he agreed. 



One of the things that we love to do in addition to our annual Halloween party, is to host a couple of Family Home Evenings (FHE) with friends at our home to make Halloween crafts, decorate cupcakes or cookies, and carve pumpkins.  It's usually spread over 2 or 3 weeks and sometimes we even award prizes.  I thought to myself, well, shouldn't I buy the most local pumpkins I can possibly get?  So, I drove the short distance to Farmer Tom's and to my surprise, he had all of his pumpkins on sale for a dollar a piece!  What a steal!  So I bought four, even though I had already bought two from him earlier in the season.  Our Halloween Edition FHEs are such a fun tradition and I'm glad to know that we can make them just a little bit local amongst all the Chinese made decorations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment