Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Autumn in New York


   I just spent four days in NYC playing a concert and visiting friends.  It was fabulous.  If I had my way, I would take a long weekend in NYC every fall and every spring each year.  It was the first time I had been back in four years, and it was so great to be there with all my friends.  Although I ate a lot of great food, I can't say that I ate any local food (at least not any that I was aware of).  However, local food did lead me to have a very surprising and delightful conversation with an old friend. 
   J. is a friend of mine from undergrad.   He was my best friend's roommate and therefore we became pretty good friends too.  However, we hadn't seen or talked to each other in 3 1/2 years.  Needless to say, we've both changed a lot.  As we were sitting at the dinner table, we started talking about our lives and I sheepishly mentioned that I had this blog.  I thought he and the other guys sitting there would make fun of me, but I was wrong.  You see, I forgot that J is Italian and loves food.  Soon enough, he was telling me about all these places in Cleveland that serve local fare!  I was shocked!  Then, he was talking about all the different types of cauliflower and how there are some that are colors other than white - which I did not know.  I stopped him and said, "J, how is this possible?  We've been friends for how long now?  And yet, I've never heard you talk about anything other than beer or music.  Now we're talking about different types of cauliflower?"  We both laughed, but I have to tell you, it was such a pleasurable conversation and I was really inspired to know that even J is somewhat into local eating.  What a great reunion!

No comments:

Post a Comment